Tuesday, June 13, 2017

TV Review: Shadowhunters: The Mortal Cup(1.01)

                                     Shadowhunters: The Mortal Cup(1.01)Review
  • I really like the opening scene with Alec, Izzy and Jace tracking the shape shifting demon because they show us that something supernatural is going on with normal people not being able to see them, the demon their following shifting it's appearance when it runs into someone and even shows us some runes, I also really like the song that is playing during that scene. I think this scene does a really good job of showing us a little bit about the shows rules and mythology.
  • I liked that since the first scene set up right away that normal people can't see shadowhunters that when Clary could see Jace it was actually surprising to me that she could see him just like it was surprising for her.
  • I liked that the show took us back eight hours and that we got to see what Clary's normal life was with seeing her interview and get into art school, her meeting up with her best friend Simon and her close relationship with her mom, it let us get to know her and showed the contrast to what her life will soon become.
  • I really love the art work that show has for Clary because it is really nice art which makes her getting into art school really believable for me.
  • I loved that when Clary tricked Simon into thinking she didn't get into art school that he said he'd make them pay by writing scathing email to them because it's sweet that he wants to stand up for her but it's also kind of lame that he'd do it by writing an email.
  • I like that Clary and Simon are working on creating a graphic novel together because that's such a nerdy thing to do but it also shows how much time the two spend together which helps establish their friendship fairly quickly.
  • I like how Clary kind of teases Simon for not knowing that Maureen has a crush on him while he makes it clear to the audience but not Clary that he has a crush on her.
  • I was very confused when I first watched this scene about how Clary's biscotti became a drawing of a biscotti, honestly I didn't figure out what happened until I watched episode six.
  • I like that the show hinted at Luke being a werewolf right away but for some reason I remember it taking awhile for me to figure out what he was although it was pretty obvious from the start.
  • I still don't understand why someone who apparently wasn't a vampire were going around draining regular people of their blood because I feel like it was never truly explained but maybe I'm wrong about that.
  • I liked that Luke's boss told him that he should just marry Jocelyn since he already acts like her husband anyway.
  • I liked that Clary and Dot have such a close relationship with each other but I also like that it was clear that Dot was hiding things from her just like her mom is.
  • I liked that both Jocelyn and Dot found out that Clary got into art school from Simon's twitter.
  • I like that Jocelyn tries to tell Clary about being a shadowhunter on her birthday by giving her stele and trying to explain it to her what it does and what their family history actually is. I like that it was made clear that Clary was starting remember she was a shadowhunter on some level because she was drawing runes without even knowing what they were.
  • I thought that the flashback to ten years earlier was really poorly place in the episode but at the same time I can't think of a better place to put it in so I don't feel like it's all that fair to complain about it's placement.
  • I liked that it was explained that the reason Clary couldn't see the supernatural things for so long was because she had her memories taken away.
  • I liked that it was clear that Magnus didn't really agree with Jocelyn's plan to wipe Clary's memories in order to keep her save because one day she would discover what she really is.
  • I liked that it was clear that Jocelyn knew it was important that she tells Clary the truth about what she is but at the same time she was having a hard time doing it which is why she let Clary go off with Simon without telling her the truth.
  • I really like how Simon gave Clary a piggyback ride out of her place, I just really adore the friendship between this two.
  • I find it a bit strange that Clary doesn't find it strange that her mom has no relatives what so ever and I liked that Maureen does find it strange and rightfully suspects that Jocelyn is hiding something from Clary.
  • I like that Izzy decided to dress up with a platinum wig for their mission with a shape shifting demon which leaves Alec confused as to why she would bother and Jace complimenting her on her choice of wig.
  • I like that in hindsight it's clear that from the beginning that Izzy was trying to get Alec to be true to himself and that he didn't want to talk to her about any of that.
  • I honestly don't understand why they couldn't just wait to get approval for the mission like Alec said that they should and considering that the mission wasn't all that successful I'm wondering if it would saved them from some problems in the future.
  • I liked that it was hinted at from the start that Izzy was good at forensics when she said that if they got her a sample of the blood she would be able to tell what was so special about it.
  • I like how Simon and Maureen like to change their band's name at the drop of the hat for no real reason.
  • I liked that when Jace was shocked by Clary being able to see him and asks if she has the sight that she thinks that he's trying to hit on her and she's really unimpressed by him.
  • I like that Simon and Maureen who both can't see Jace are concerned for Clary when she was talking to Jace and with how she kept insisting that she was actually their when neither of them saw anyone.
  • I like that Clary follows Jace into the club because she wants to prove to Simon and Maureen that she's not crazy and I like that Simon reminds her that her fake ID sucks as she does so.
  • I like that Simon and Maureen go off to go get drinks despite Simon being so sure that their fake IDs aren't good enough to get them drinks.
  • I like that when Magnus sees the circle members in his club that he kicks them out right away and I like how when he was threaten them with his magic and one the guys said they've endured worse that Magnus pointed out that they inflicted worse.
  • Even though it screwed up the mission I liked that when Clary thought Jace was going to kill someone that she jumps in and pushes her out of the way because she couldn't let someone get murdered.
  • I quite like the scene where Jace, Izzy and Alec had to kill all the demons in the room which out numbered them by quite a lot while this wasn't the best fight scene in the show it does established from the start that they all know how to fight pretty well together.
  • I liked that Jace actually pushes Clary out of the way of the demon after she saved the demon and I liked that he asked her at least one more time during the fight if she was okay.
  • I like that they had Clary pick up the seraph blade and that it lit up for her which means that she's a shadowhunter and I like that Jace clear sees this.
  • I liked that when Jace was fighting the demons after he lost his seraph blade that he yelled to Alec and then Alec tossed him, his blade without a second thought and that once Jace got his blade back he tossed it back to Alec.
  • I like that it was made clear that the circle members saw Clary at the club and followed her home because it explains why they found them now.
  • I like that Clary is really freaked out about the demon killing she just witness and doesn't understand and that she goes back home and tells her mom all about what she saw.
  • I like that Jocelyn starts to tell Clary the truth about who she really is although there isn't much time and Clary is already freaking out so Clary doesn't really understand much of what her mom is trying to tell her.
  • I like that it's clear that Jocelyn and Dot have prepared for the possibility of the circle finding them and that they had a plan for what to do in this situation.
  • I like that Jocelyn makes sure to tell Clary that she loves her more than anything before she forces Clary to go find Luke who she tells Clary is the only person that she can trust to help them right now.
  • I like that it's made clear to the audience right away that Valentine is alive and that he's someone who everyone else assumed was dead.
  • I like that Jocelyn doesn't take the coma potion until it's clear that she can't escape from the circle members.
  • I feel bad for Clary when she hears Luke telling the circle members that he doesn't care about her and her mom because after hearing that she now believes that she doesn't have anyone that she can trust anymore.
  • I like that Valentine was impressed by Jocelyn's ability hide from him for eighteen years and that he kills one of his followers for insulting her.
  • I felt sad for Clary when she returned home to find the place in ruins and that her mom was nowhere to be found.
  • I like that Clary jabbed the shape shifter demon with her stele when it started to attack her but sadly she wasn't able to fight him off for long but luckily Jace showed up and killed the demon before it killed her.
  • I liked how gentle Jace was with Clary when he was examining the bite that the demon gave her and I like that he answers her questions very directly even his answers make no sense to her I'm glad that someone is actually giving her answers to the many questions she has.
  • I liked that Izzy was just waiting for Clary to wake up and I like how she just expected Clary to understand that they saved her and she should be grateful to them.
  • I like that Alec does find it weird that Clary appeared because new shadowhunters just don't appear while Jace and Izzy are all too happy to ignore the strangeness of the situation and instead want to learn more about Clary.
  • I liked that after Izzy tells Alec that she loves him that Alec stops trying to point how Clary shouldn't be here so that he can tell Izzy that he loves her too.
  • I like that Izzy tries to ask Alec if the reason that he doesn't want Clary here is because Jace likes her and that Alec tells her that he's suspicious of Clary since she appeared out of nowhere and she ruined their mission.
  • I liked that after it becomes clear to Jace that Clary really doesn't know anything that he tries to explain the whole shadow world in the simplest way possible but of course that is still confusing for Clary because how could it not be.
  • I like that Clary makes it clear from the start that what she cares about most is finding and saving her mom.
  • I liked that Simon tracked Clary down and was concerned to find out that she was in what appeared to be an abandoned church and that she was undressed there, I like that he asks her if she has a meth problem that she didn't tell him about.
  • I liked that Jace seemed oddly proud of himself for the drawing a rune on Clary's neck.
  • I like that when Clary questions the clothes that Izzy left for her that Jace tells her that Izzy is very comfortable with her body.
  • I like that when Jace is fighting the circle member and Clary is reacting to it that Simon is very confused as to what she is seeing.
  • I like that when Jace first makes himself visible to Simon that Simon asks Clary if he is her meth dealer.
  • I like that Clary actually was given good reason by both Jace and Simon on why they should trust them with Jace being a shadowhunter like Clary who can help her find her mother and keep her safe and Simon being her best friend who she known forever and she knows that she can trust him but she doesn't know much of anything about Jace since she just met him.
Please tell me your thoughts on this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment