Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review: Perfect

                                                                      Perfect Review
The book Perfect is the story of how four teenagers are trying to become perfect and learning that perfection may just be impossible.Perfect is by Ellen Hopkins the author of Identical and Impulse to which this book is a companion novel to. This story centers around Cara a girl who's great at both school and athletics to the outside world she seems to have the perfect life but in reality she feels trapped by it, then there's Kendera a beautiful girl who has won many beauty pagents and desires to be a model but she also feels the need to loose another few pounds, then there's Sean a star baseball player who's using steriods to ensure his game is at it's best and then there's Andere who wants to pursue a career in dance but his parents wants him to go into more profitable career.

My two favorite characters ended up being Kendera who no matter how much it annoyed and worried me that she couldn't see that she was killing herself by trying thinner,when she was already dangerously skinny, I couldn't help but to care for her. I loved learning about her messed up family life and I liked hearing about her past relationship with Connor and I couldn't help but feel bad for her since she truely loved him but since I read Impulse I know she didn't really mean anything to him. I also hated when her second manger said she still need to loose even after her doctor told her she was at the risk of killing herself if she didn't gain back some weight and I hated when he convinced her to have sex with a desinger in order to land a job.

 My second favorite character was Andere this actually surprised me because when I first start reading this book I thought I'd find his storyline boring but I didn't in fact I actually looked forward to his section. I think it helped that his story wasn't actually about dance or his race like I thought it would be but instead about the realtionship he had with Kendera's sister Jenna. I liked that he fell for her fast and hard and how even though he knew that the realtionship was pretty unhealthy he couldn't help himself, I always like these kind of love stories best. I think another reason I liked this storyline is because I loved the character Jenna who I found fascinating since she was a total wreck but in a charsmatic way and also because of how different she was from her sister, I hope that Ellen Hopkins decides to write a book were she's one of the main characters because she's so interesting and damaged. I also liked that Andere was a good guy which is also a plus in my book.

I liked Cara but she wasn't my favorite or anything. I liked that she was able to break away from her parents expections of her and find her true self. The thing I enjoyed most about Cara's story was learning about her family life since she is Connor's sister and lets just say that after learning more about her parents in this book it's hardly surprising that Connor would rather die than go back to that cold empty life. I liked Cara's relationship with Dani and I hated Sean for all the awful things he did to her.

I hated Sean first off I wasn't really interested in his storyline in the first place since it was about sports but his arrogent personality just made things worse. I hated the way he treated Cara because of his creepy obession with her. I hated that he raped her then acted like she was in the wrong, I hated that he stalked her after she broke up with him and I hated that he took pictures of her and Dani during an intimate moment then forwarded it to everyone at their school. I hated that things worked out for him since it never seemed like he earned anything good that happened to him since he was so cruel and self obessed.

Overall I loved the book and I loved all the connections it had to Impulse. I loved the style it was written which was poetry just like all the other Ellen Hopkins books I read. Please tell me your thoughts on the book in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment