Thursday, December 31, 2015

Book Review: Crank

                                                                 Crank Review
Crank is a novel by Ellen Hopkins and it tells the story of Kristina Snow a high school junior who was a smart good girl before she went to visit her estranged father for a few weeks over the summer. While visiting her father Kristina is introduced to a whole new way of life after she lets her alter ego Bree lead the way for a bit she embraces both her sexuality and drugs while on the trip. The main drug that Kristina uses is meth which she calls the monster through out the book and considering how it takes over her life I think monster is an accurate description of the drug.

Kristina returns home unable to go back to the girl she was before she left and once back she has to come up with more creative ways to get hands on more meth. She ends up getting involved with people she would've steered clear of before and she ends up taking risks that she never would've dreamed of before the monster all to feed her addiction. The book shows how far down Kristina spirals with her addiction and how no matter how bad things get for her because of the monster she is  unable to give it up.

This book was beautiful written through poems like all of the other books I've read by Ellen Hopkins and the story that was told in this book felt emotionally honest like all her other books as well. I found the story to be very gripping if not also very sad do to the fact that the book is basically about a teenager throwing her whole life away with her addiction. Overall I felt that this book was very well written, the story gripping and I found that the characters felt pretty real to me and despite the fact that I've never been in a situation even remotely similar to Kristina I still felt like I could understand where she was coming, being able to understand  the main character in a book is always a good thing in my book. Please tell me your thoughts on this book or really any of Ellen Hopkins other books in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment