Sunday, May 8, 2011

Movie Review: The Go Getter

                                                            The Go Getter Review


The Go Getter is about a boy named Mercer (played Lou Taylor Pucci who I had seen previously in The Chumscrubber and Fifty Pills I enjoyed both of those films as well) who after impulsively stealing a car goes on a road trip to find his older brother Arlen who he hasn’t seen since he was 5 but he feels has to tell him that their mother died 8 in half months ago. But the person’s car he stole calls the cell she had previously left in the car and then tells him she won’t file charges as long as he tells her about his trip ( the car owner is played by Zooey Deschanel who I’d seen previously in Almost Famous and 500 Days of Summer). On the trip Mercer discovers Arlen wasn’t a very nice guy which ended up making him hard to find. Also in the beginning and middle part of the film Mercer decides to travel with Joely( played by Jena Malone who’s one of my favorite actresses and I’ve seen her in Donnie Darko, The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, and Saved), a girl that he went to middle school with. After losing his virginity to Joely she ends up having to male friends take along on the trip and since she seems to by having sex with one of them Mercer sees she’s just using him so he goes on without her. A while later he meets up the owner of the car, Kate and they travel together. In the end Mercer is able to relay his message to Arlen and Mercer and Kate go to Louisiana to scatter his mother’s ashes.

I liked this film overall it was odd but most indie films seem to be but I liked the story and the main character. I liked the way the phone calls between Mercer and Kate seemed to tie the film together and relayed background information and developed their unlikely friendship. I felt that the acting overall was good but I think Lou Taylor Pucci was most definitely the best but his character had the most to go through and was on screen the most. I’ll give this film a 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment