Monday, March 18, 2013

TV Review: The Bates Motel: First You Dream, Then You Die(1.01)

                        The Bates Motel: First You Dream, Then You Die(1.01)Review
  • I'm pretty suspicious of how Norman's father died since Norma seemed far to calm when Norman told her something happened to him which was quite a contrast to Norman's very emotional reaction to the death.
  • I found the relationship between Norma and Norman to be unusually close and I thought it was a bit odd that despite how Norma keeps saying she wants them to start fresh and make a new life for themselves she still does her best to keep Norman from doing things a normal teenage boy would do such as join the track team or hang out with friends.
  • I liked how in the first half of the episode Norman did try to go against his mother a bit with sneaking out of the house and I would agree with Bradley that it was adorable that he really thought they were going to study.
  • Even though I know the character that Norman is based off I can't help but to like his social awkwardness and he's different from most boys his age even though I know that the reasons for this are most likely somewhat dangerous, I just really can't help but like his character.
  • I found the scene were that guy Seth broke into the house and raped Norma and because of the cruelty of Seth I can't help but to think that Norma had a good reason to kill him but I do find it a bit disturbing how fast she was able to justify his death to herself.
  • I have to agree with Norman that they probably should have called the police because it was pretty much self defense and it's a lot easier and safer for them to let the police handle the clean up of the body.
  • I also found it disturbing that Norma's reasons for not wanting to involve the police had more to do with how she didn't want the news to negatively impact how the motel's business would go rather than worrying that they would accuse her of the crime which would have been a much more normal response in this kind of situation.
  • I kind of liked how Norman mentioned how messed up the situation was with them having to get rid of a dead body and that he was very emotionally distressed by the whole situation because that's a much more normal response than Norma was having.
  • I found it odd that Norma thought that they needed to remove all the carpet that night because I personally think it's more suspicious to being pulling up carpet in the middle of the night than to only have a few rooms worth of carpets torn out.
  • I found the scene where the police show up and one of the officers uses the bathroom in which the body is hidden to be very stressful to watch and I really enjoyed the looks Norma and Norman were giving in this scene while trying to act like nothing was wrong but of course being terrified by what the officer might find.
  • I liked how Norman was very effected by the murder and that seeing the blood on his shoe the next day was enough to make him vomit.
  • I really liked the scene between Norman and Emma there was a certain sweet awkwardness to it that I just really enjoyed.
  • I found the scene where while Norma and Norman are dumping the body in the lake and Norma comes to the realization that she isn't doing a very good job as a mother and Norman says she's his everything, to be both sweet and messed up because it shows a co-dependency in their relationship and a bit of an incestuous undertone.
  • I overall really liked the first episode and I thought a lot happened plot wise and I am really interested in learning more about the characters in future episodes.
Please tell me your thoughts about the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment