As I'm sure most people already know that Wicked is a musical that is a retelling of the Wizard of Oz with the wicked witch as a main character who went to school with Glinda. The musical was pretty good and has a lot of good songs and singing so I decided to make a list of my favorite songs.
No Good Deed: This song is one that comes when Elphaba has just lost Fiyero and in a bigger sense all hope and this makes her consider how trying to be good has never turned out well for her so what's the point of it. This is a song in which Elphaba is filled with desperation, pain and regret for all that has happened in her life. This song is one where Elphaba reflects upon how every time she tries to do good it back fires on her and her wondering both is it worth it or if her good deeds didn't turn out well because her intentions weren't pure enough. This song also marks the pretty much the only time that Elphaba truly considers turning bad which really shows how powerful the emotions are in this song.
2. As Long As Your Mine: This is the one romantic duet that Elphaba and Fiyero have through out the whole play and this song is just really beautiful and romantic. This is one of the few moments when these two characters get to be together and it's one that shows their romance well. I also just really love Idina Menzel and Leo Norbert Butz voices and think their really what makes the song for me.
3. For Good: This song is one of the last ones of the show and it's Elphaba and Glinda parting ways for the last time and since the relationship between these two are the heart of the show it's pretty heartbreaking to see them part ways. This song is about how meeting each other has forever changed who both of them are as people and how their grateful they were a part of each other's lives. This is one that always tends to make me cry because I find them saying goodbye for the last time so sad but I also find this song beautiful as well as emotional.
4. Defying Gravity: This is one of the most popular songs of the show as well as one of my favorites and one the most important ones. This song is a real turning point in the show for Elphaba with her realizing that the wizard isn't the man she thought he was and that she doesn't want to work with him but instead by herself and by her own rules. This song is one that is very much about Elphaba finding her independence and embracing her own thoughts on what it means to do the right thing and being willing to risk being seen as the bad by the rest of society. It's also a song that shows how far Elphaba and Glinda's relationship has developed in the first act because they wish each other well before they go there separate ways. I also just really love all the high notes that Idina Menzel holds through out this song.
5. What is this Feeling?: This is a really fun song that is about when Elphaba and Glinda first have to deal with being room mates. This song in a lot of ways feels like something that belongs at the beginning of a romcom since they spend the whole song singing about how much they loath each other and how they had that feeling at first start, it's just kind of funny how it sounds a lot like a love song especially since they promise to loath each other forever.
6. March of the Witch Hunters: This song is unsurprisingly the angry mob song and for some reason these kind of songs are ones that I really enjoy probably because of how angry this song is the more emotion a song has in a musical the better the song, at least in my experience.
7. The Wizard and I: This is one of the first ones in the show and it's about Elphaba now feeling hopeful about life after hearing that she has a talent that makes the wizard interested in her. What I love about this song is how hopeful and fully of wonder Elphaba is during this song and I like her daydreaming about how a life working with the wizard would make everyone see her differently and accept her in a way that she never dared to hope they would. I also just really love Idina Menzel especially when she hits high notes which does once or twice in this song.
8. Popular: This is one of the most popular(fittingly) of the shows and if you only heard one song from the show it's this one. This song is about how Glinda gives Elphaba a make over that she doesn't really want so that she can be popular. This song is a lot of fun and it really gives Kristen Chenoweth a chance to shine.