Monday, August 8, 2011

Book Review: Identical

                                                       Identical Review

The book Identical by Ellen Hopkins(who also wrote Impulse which I loved) it’s about twin sisters Kaeleigh and Raeanne and their screwed up family. The book did a very good job at setting up the world that the characters lived in as well as the characters themselves and the book manages to make you feel sympathy for almost every single character at least one point no matter how horrible they are. I also liked the contrast between Kaeleigh and Raeanne the were pretty much completely different from each other but kind of similar in a way and they both were very damaged. I personally liked Kaealeigh more but I liked Reaenne as well.

I liked the way in which Kaeleigh used bingeing and cutting to feel like she’s in control and Raeanne used sex and purging to feel in control it made sense for both there characters and I liked seeing those things used in that way. Spoiler warning: I also liked the way in which Kaeleigh discovers that Raeanne is dead and that she has a split personality and I also liked how they explained the cause of it. I also really liked the six months later part that shows that Kaeleigh is still dealing with everything but while she’s getting better she’s not fully recovered and that the Raeanne personality is still around.

Other then Kaeleigh and Raeanne the only other characters I really liked were Greta and Ian. Greta was an old lady that was staying at the old folks home which Kaeleigh worked at, I really liked her character because she has been through a situation similar to Kaeleigh and she ended up getting through and in the end becoming a stronger person. I loved Ian who was Kaeleigh’s best friend and later boyfriend because he was always there for and he loved her pretty much unconditional and he was the one who helped Kaeleigh discovered that she had DID. I also loved how the story was written in prose and that some of the poems actually made shapes and I enjoyed reading two different points of view. I overall really liked this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment