Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: The Summoning

                                                      The Darkest Powers:The Summoning Review


The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong is about a girl named Chloe who one day suddenly starts to see ghosts and since she didn’t know she was seeing a ghost she freaked about majorly when one chased her in her school and because of this incident she’s sent to Lyle house a home for mentally disturbed teens. After a while a Lyle house she discovers she can see ghosts and that some of the other teens of unusual abilities as well. Towards the end of the book she and some of the other teens escape Lyle house after learning that the employees don’t care about them and they know about there special abilities.

I overall liked this book but it took me a while to get into towards the beginning it felt like it wasn’t moving fast enough like when Chloe got her first period in the school bathroom ( although that part was really weird anyways and was actually important to the overall story) and also it took forever for Chloe to accept the fact that she can see ghosts.

Now For what I liked about the book I liked how they hinted at and introduced that other characters in the home who had special abilities. I liked it at the times when the plot would move really fast like the night Liz was taken away, when Chloe was trapped in the crawl space and when they escaped until the end of the book. I also liked that the house was originally owned by a sorcerer who had down experimented on other supernaturals it also makes me more worried about the Lyle house’s employee’s true motives. I also liked the narration which was in first person and actually felt like a person’s thoughts and I liked how Chloe would often put things into movie terms it was different in a good way. My favorite character was Rae she seemed nice, she was a good friend to Chloe and she was eager to accept the supernatural stuff which I liked very much. I also really liked Liz because she was so bubbly and cheerful but sadly she was taken away early on. Other then the Lyle house employees the only character I didn’t like was Tori who I hated mostly because she was a psycho bitch ( at one point she knocks Chloe out and then binds and gags her) but there are a few times I find myself feeling bad for her which makes her more real.

Overall I liked this book and since it ended on cliffhanger I will for sure read the next book and I hope that get answers to many of the questions this book made me ask and hope that the next book is more like the end of this book( fast paced, filled with action and plot twists I never expected) rather then the beginning of the book ( slow paced with little to no action) either way I’m eager to read the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment