Sunday, May 15, 2011

Book Review: The Secret Circle: The Initiation

                                                   The Secret Circle: The Initiation Review


The Secret Circle: The Initiation is a book by L.J. Smith who also wrote the Vampire Diaries series (although I haven’t read those books I love the TV show) and this series is also being made into a TV show so I decided I should read the books before hand and I’m glad I did. The book’s about a girl named Cassie who moves to New Salem in order to live with her Grandmother and she soon discovers a group of students are witches and she is also a witch.

I liked that although Cassie doesn’t discover magic is real until the end of the book there’s still a lot of clues to it’s existence and the story is still interesting beforehand. One of the parts I found most interesting was when Faye and some others were making Cassie’s life hell in school with the putting meat in her locker and such, I have a feeling that when this is made into a TV show that part is going to be cut out. I really liked how Faye actually seemed dangerous like she could kill Cassie if she wanted unlike most mean girls who the most the can do is ruin your day. Overall I found all the characters interesting although the Hendersons kind of blended together. I liked that Cassie was kind of shy because I feel there’s not enough truly shy characters in fiction.

My favorite characters are Diana the nice girl with moonlight hair that mid-way through the book takes Cassie under her wing and Faye the dark haired mysterious bad girl, like them the most because the seem to be the two strongest members of the circle and the polar opposites of each other. Also I’m pretty sure Diana isn’t going to have silver moonlight hair in the show and that disappoints me but I can understand why she won’t, silver just isn’t a natural hair color. The thing I didn’t like was the relationship between Adam and Cassie it just kind of developed to fast on his end and caused problems right away but I did like that it led to Cassie being used as Faye’s little minion because it allows us to know see more of Faye and learn more about her.

I also think that Kori’s death was a good way to set off the story because it sped up the pace of the story and left many unanswered questions and I’m also intrigued by the crystal skull and the powers it holds and hope that both those elements are put into the show. I enjoyed this book very much and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

So please share your opinions on the book, likes and dislikes. I also wonder what and who your hoping to see in the up coming TV show, please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment