Saturday, December 1, 2018

Favorite Songs From Every Show Nominated for Best Musical Tony Award: Top 5 Songs From Kiss Me, Kate

I have Wanted to listen to the cast recordings to all the Best Musical winners for along time now so I thought making a series of post listing my favorite songs from each show was a good way to go about doing this and I've decided to expand it to every nominated for Best Musical because a lot of the more recent show I love have been nominated but haven't won the award. While for this show I'm only doing my top five songs for other shows later on I will have a longer list both because the number of songs are larger for some shows and I tend to love the more recent musicals a lot more.

Kiss Me, Kate is a musical that I have never seen before but I did read the plot summary before listening to the original cast recording, so I have a somewhat limited knowledge on the plot and characters so I'm mostly judging this show on just the cast recording. This show won the Tony for Best Musical in 1949 and since no other musical was nominated that year I have assume that it winning was well deserved. Overall I found the recording enjoyable enough and I found a number of the songs to be quite catchy but it's still not a show that I'm dying to go out and see.

1. We Open in Venice: This song is what I believe is the opening of the show within the show which a musical version of Taming of the Shrew and this song is one that I enjoyed listening to right away and I found that the longer the song went on the more I enjoyed it. This song is super catchy and while it can be quite repetitive this was a trait that I found worked for this song because the repetitive lyrics just made me want to sing along with the song and I also liked that there were a few jokes mixed in with the song as well.
2. Another Op'nin, Another Show: This song was a really fun and catchy number to open up the show with and it gets you excited about seeing the show even though it really doesn't tell much of anything about the show that you're going to watching.
3. Too Darn Hot: This one of the three songs that I have heard of from this show before listening to the show and I can see why I have heard of it. This song is one that has a really good beat to it and it's one of the songs that feel like is suppose to be a dance number because listening to it makes me want to dance which I think is a good thing. This song is also one of the few songs in the show that I feel like the song is building up some kind of intensity as it goes on which is also a good thing to have happen while listening to songs from a musical.
4. Tom, Dick or Harry: This is another one of the few songs from the show that I have heard of before I listened to the show and I can understand why since it's one of the best of the show and super catchy. I found that the part with the girl playing Bianca in the play singing was a lot better than the parts where the male suitors were singing while they're parts weren't bad they weren't as good as hers and if it weren't for them this song would've been higher up on my list.
5. I Hate Men: While I overall really did enjoy this song and that the actress was a good singer I have to admit that one of the reasons this song made it on the list has to do with my hatred for the male characters in Taming of the Shrew and since this sang by Katherine in the show within the show it speaks to my hatred for those characters a bit. I also really enjoy the slyly calling men dogs by comparing them to Lassie.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment