Thursday, March 28, 2019

Top 10 Songs that hit the Billboard Hot 100 in February 2019

1. Miss Me More- Kelsea Ballerini: This song is about how after a break up the singer realize that she misses the person she was before the relationship a lot more than the guy she was dating who sounds like a total dick(he made her give up her red lipstick, her high heels since she couldn't be taller than him, her friends and her music). The song being country I think worked really well since it had great production and the edge in her voice worked really well for this song.
2. Bad Idea- Ariana Grande: This song is about hooking up with someone to forget someone else while knowing it's a bad idea and going through with it anyway The production on this song works really well for the song it's a bit dark and tension filled which fits the mood of the song. The thing I don't like about the song is that it has a minute long outro which feels far too long to me and is probably the reason this song didn't last longer than it did on the hot 100 since I'm sure most people ended skipping past the outro.
3. Bury a Friend- Billie Eilish: This song is one that I'm not exactly sure what it's about but I think it as something to do with mental illness and it has some kind of metaphors about monsters in it as well it's a song that I find fascinating to think about since there are so many things this song can be about. This song and the music video for it has a clear horror vibe to it which I love, the production gives a creepy unsettling vibe through out the song with sound affects that sound like they belong in a horror movie not a pop song placed through out the song and there is also the lyrics that have violent imagery to them such as Step on the glass /Staple your tongue and her repeatedly saying I want to end me. This song is very different from any pop song I've ever heard before and I love it.
4. Make Up-Ariana Grande: This song which seems to be about a relationship that isn't entirely healthy since Ariana seems to delight in fucking with her partner's head just because she likes making up with him after. The production of this song might be the best on the entire album it as a playful and dreamy vibe to it that I really enjoyed.
5. Please M- Cardi B and Bruno Mars: This song is about Cardi B making Bruno Mars beg her to please him because while she may be very comfortable with her sexuality she does like it when guys work for it. I love Cardi B being so assertive about her sexuality and I was surprised at how good she sang on the song and Bruno sound amazing as he always done and he was giving the song is best, also the two seem to have great chemistry while working to together.
6. Fake Smile- Ariana Grande: This song is about how Ariana doesn't want to have to fake smiles for the press anymore since she's been through a lot recently and she isn't always going to be happy and doesn't want that to be expected of her anymore. While I really love the idea behind this song I feel like the production for this song really lets it down since I think this song is suppose to feel more angry rather than sad and irritated based of the lyrics but I feel like the production is too soft and quiet to really support that emotion. This song also reminds a lot of Fake Happy by Paramore which had the same basic idea behind it but had much better instrumentation that support the emotions behind the lyrics which makes it the better song.
7. Ghostin-Ariana Grande: This song is probably the most personal song on the album and if you know anything about Ariana's personal life you know exactly what this song is about and that makes this song all the more heartbreaking. This song is very honest and sad which can makes it a song that you aren't going to always want to listen to even though it's really good. Ariana sounds amazing and vulnerable on this song and the soft melancholy production works perfectly for this song.
8. Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored- Ariana Grande: This song about Ariana wanting some guy she doesn't even really know to break up with his girlfriend since she's bored and decide that she wants him now shows a more haughty side to her and makes for a fun song about being an uglier version of yourself. I think that the production works great for this song as well.
9. I'm So Tired...-Lauv and Troye Sivan: This song is one where I think that singers sound really good on it but it really doesn't engage me as much I wish it did but it still sounds really nice but it can feel a bit boring and repetitive to listen to at times.
10. Rainbow-Kacey Musgraves: This song is a really beautiful sounding piano ballad that just sounds really nice.

2 comments:

  1. Bury a Friend is a great song and the video is great. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I love Ariana Grande's new music!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete